More than half-a-million business leaders have discovered the power of the Story Brand Framework, created by the New York Times best-selling author and marketing expert Donald Miller. And they are simply making millions!
Here at Poeticus Marketing we are huge fans of the work – tried and tested methods to help you dig deep and dramatically improve how you connect with your customers and, ultimately, grow your business. Sounds too good to be true?
While the book is a hefty read, Miller’s proven process has helped thousands of companies engage with their existing customers, giving them the ultimate competitive advantage.
Building a Story Brand does this by teaching you:
- The seven universal story points all humans respond to.
- How to simplify a brand message so people understand it.
- How to create the most effective messaging for all your copy – from websites and brochures, to social media.
Our key takes from the Framework include:
- Write your blog, website copy and social media (in fact, all of your comms!) from the point of view of your customer. Get into their mindset, know your customer inside and out before you reach for the pen and do any form of marketing planning.
- Sales led marketing – yes, sell your benefits to your customer but sell the solution. Communicate the benefits to your products from a solution point of view – what real benefits does your product or business give your customer?
- Emotions are important in marketing (yep, think John Lewis). Imagine a ‘Benefit Ladder’ – get to the emotional leverage. How can you get the emotional aspect of your product across in your messaging?
- Map out the real reason your customers purchase from you. If you don’t know this, do some customer research – why do your current customers use you? What do they like, what do they want improving?
- Clarity on your website is key – reassess whether the copy on your website needs to be on your site or if it could be addressed in a different area or section. Does it really give the information your customers need to see?
- When starting up, you have to sell yourself, so it’s easier to position yourself as the hero – but at what point do you tip the scales back to the guide position? Sense-check your copy.
- Call-to-actions in your marketing – use them clearly and constantly.
- Identify gaps in knowledge and practices e.g. narrative void.
- Try a group workshop with your team – bring in fun and help dig deeper!
If you’d like to give the book a read, head to your local bookshop or online; it’s widely available and is being snapped up by many marketeers and business owners worldwide.
Need help with your marketing?
Poeticus Marketing is a marketing team based in Spalding, Lincolnshire. We work with brands all over the UK, large and small. This website is not a commercial entity but an informative resource to share and help others create brilliant marketing strategies.